It is important to have a test site if you are doing any coding. Really, it is kind of obvious but it deserves being mentioned. I got bit on this yesterday. I am making an effort to focus on my blog and regrow my audience that is dwindled in the past. And yet, yesterday, I was making a minor tweak to the theme and messed something up. It was a minor mess-up, but all the same someone was in the process of posting a comment and sent me an email about an error. There really is no excuse for my having not done this, and I would have never done such at the office, so why did I do it with my personal site?
For some time I have kind of been stuck with my organization here one the blog and was not really sure which direction to go. I really had three possible options in mind, each of which had several positives but clearly had a couple of drawbacks as well. To be clear, the three options are: Set up of a multisite and doing each blog subject as if it were a stand along blog under a bigger umbrella; Use of the custom Post Type to delimit the different blog subjects and use the support tools that come with that treat each subject as a sub-part of the blog; Or lastly, use the standard based and built in category option and just point to the sub-file structure when specifically directing to one of those parts.
Unless you have been living under a rock, you no doubt know that WordPress 3.6 came out today. There are a few really cool features in the new version of things. Most notable from my perspective is the additional enhancements that have to do with keeping track of changes throughout revisions and such as that.
A long break once again… I know. Oh well, all I can do at this point is get back on the horse and get going. Last few post that I did happen to make I was talking about different themes and working some stuff up. I have finally settled on the current look for the blog. It is a responsive theme call Tetris. I have created a child version of the theme of course to make it my own and so far, after having it up for a month or longer have been pleased with it. I kept meaning to take down some notes about it and such and of course blog but I never seemed to get around to it all during the month of April. Part of that has been work and partly the excitement of a new boat and spring fishing season (see more on that over at fishnstory.com), but some of it has been just getting motivated. Anyway, the theme is the major part of the current updates but there are a few more things to do here on the old blog.
I realize that I just changed themes not to long ago and was just getting all the final bugs really worked out and having things looking good, but… Here we go again. Why the rush? A concept called Responsive, or more specifically Responsive Web Design. What is that? The basic idea is the website, without having to be specifically coded for each device, will respond to the type of device it being viewed upon and over the best view possible in a viewable size and minimal side scrolling to see it. Or in other words the website will support your old computer, your new uber-high resolution computer, your tablet, your smart phone, and the next device that has not come out yet all equally well.
I know my posting has been slow most all of the summer, but if you have not been here in a while and were a regular before take a look around (for that matter, if you are completely new do the same). I have, when I had the time over the last month or so, made a few major changes here on the blog. The biggest things that come to mind are an updated, more modern theme, dropping out a LOT of ads, and just and over all cleaner look. A few other things that may not be as noticeable include re-implementation of a mobile theme and roll back to the basic comment system (with allowance for Facebook and Twitter logins). It was time to be sure and I am happy with it, but give me your thoughts if you have any.