If you have been reading this blog over the last year or so it will come as no surprise that I like Wunderlist as a to-do list that works. At least it works the way I like to work. I am still a bit disappointed by the lack of a native Linux application, but the web version has been working fairly well for me. In addition, there is the really required version for me over on the iPad, which lets me take it with me to meetings and such or even out to the shop (garage) when I am working on a sequence of steps to accomplish some largely project. And of course the client that does run on Windows or Mac based operating systems seems to be pretty good, though I can only claim either as a casual user.
That all being said, I have found one subtle problem that is extremely aggravating. Namely, with the various system that I am using to access my Wunderlist, sometimes my list gets out sync. That of course really defeats the purpose of my trying to keep organized on what I have to get done right away and those things that I would also like to try to accomplish sometime today.
A current example, in my current list from the web-based client, I have 43 items in my list for today. If I hop over to the iPad, as I would after getting my tasks updated in the morning for the day, especially if heading to a meeting, I have 48 times in my list for today. This is without having added additional items or checked things off anywhere. Now, if I closely go through the list, I can find the 5 items that I checked off (or in a couple of cases deleted) that are still in the iPad list for some strange reason.
I do not feel like I should have to do that though, as there is a sync option in both platforms. However, after running the sync option on both the web client and the iPad (with the today list showing) I still have the same numbers. This is a clear indication that the sync mechanism is broken. My suspicion is that the sync mechanism checks the cloud copy for an indication of a change having been made since the last time it checked and that is that. Of course the reality of modern computing is that on occasion a system will crash or some such and not have the latest copy. And when, in particular a sync is being forced it should have a built mechanism that at least counts the number of records and verifies that along with the actual date of the last updates or something of such.
As it is, the only way to get the sync back in sync is to either find the items that are in the one list or the other that either should not be there or are missing, and delete them. Than if they should be there on both devices, re-add them. Or alternatively, you can uninstall the app and re-install, forcing it to pull from the cloud for the entire list. Both of these are very cumbersome. Bottom line is this, Wunderlist needs to fix this. The tool itself is something I would consider the pro (paid version) of it, but I will not do that given the current sync issues.
** – Image is icon for Wunderlist.